Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Creek!



So two nights ago as the sun was setting I decided to try and find a campground to stay at before it got dark.  As I was riding i noticed a really nice and scenic campground at the bottom of the canyon.  I proceeded down the narrow dirt road through the campground looking for a site.  As I went down a steep but short narrow part of the road I noticed a creek crossing so I stopped.  It was too narrow to turn around and too steep to back up so I attempted to try and cross this 25 foot wide creek bridge (with water flowing over it)...bad idea!  The creek bridge bottom was covered in moss and 5 feet into it my bike came out from underneath me...nightmare!  My bike was laying in the creek (about 1 foot deep) with water flowing over the whole bike and my gear.  I yelled to a camper to help me lift it up and out of the creek.  It took three guys because the mossy bottom was so slippery.  We got it to the other side to see what the damage was.  It wouldn't start at first, but after a few minutes it started up again.  Luckily I was only going about 5 mph so I was okay and the bike damange was minor.  So now the only way out of this campground is to go back through this creek again!  The german guy that helped me thought it would be easier if I just went faster...wrong!  I got up to about 20 mph and the same thing happened about 15 feet across.  This time I went down harder.  My bike was laying in the creek again and the pipes were steaming!  The three of us got the bike out of the creek again...i thought I was in the twilight zone!  I had a few scraps and scratches and so did the bike, but it started.  After wrenching on the bent shifter peg we were able to make it shift...barely.   I rode back to the town I had been in a few hours before totally bummed and wanting to go home.  After checking in to a hotel I calmed down a little and realized it is all part of the adventure and we're both still functioning.  I walked across the street to have some dinner on the patio of a small Mexican restaurant.  A guy was playing live acoustic music and the desert air was warm, still and peaceful.  Music always makes me feel better. I would take it to a mechanic in the morning and go from there...oh ya and my camera, ipod charger, and phone charger were all toast from the creek!

3 comments:

  1. Dude, that is a crazy story. Glad you & the bike are ok, but sorry to hear you lost the camera & chargers. The pictures that you've posted are awesome, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're going to ride across another mossy creek, please wear your helmet, okay Evil Keneval?
    Sounds like this is an adventure.Can't have the highs without the lows!
    Love you and be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, it's so cool to read your adventure - so jealous. Didn't realize you were going solo - that's heavy man! Keep telling the stories...I'm living the your adventure vicariously. haha. If you head through Provo, give my sister a call and ask her for a warm meal. I'll text you her number if you are.

    ReplyDelete