Friday, July 29, 2011

Blue Ridge Mountains, VA & NC

I've been deep in hillbillyville for the last 3 days with no phone service & nothing around except some strange folks...yesterday a waiter told me "don't let night fall on you in wayne county!"
So o left nj headed t
hrough PA down towards WV to hop on the skyline drive & Blue ridge highway. i met a guy named Don who was from TN who I ride with to the parkway. The skyline drive was awesome and I ride for about 50 miles before finding a campsite in shenandoahNP.the next morning I got up early to get on the road.other creatures get up early too as I came across a black bear crossing the road! later I met everett who was riding to the outer banks of NC from NY to meet his family.everett &i ride 200 miles on the BR parkway that day. The only way to describe this place is a green hilly & forested paradise! The road dips up and down many times twisting & turning andsometimes your riding along the spine with amazing views on both sides!Everett&i decided to start looking for a campsite because there is nothing around for miles on all directions and their not allowed to put signs on the parkway so your pre
tty much on youre own. So we found a weird little site with some other trailers around. We were really hungry after ri ding all day so we attempted to get some sketchy directions and try to find a restaurant.people in the east are not so good st giving directions so we got lost for a little bit.it really is like deliverance out there! So after finally finding the place to eat I had the girl ashley at the gas station get us new directions back.it cooled down that night and was cool sleeping with the sounds of the noisy bugs all night long. The next morning we got up and out early to do the last 200 miles of the parkway.the NC part was even better&i would say it's just as beautiful or more than the rocky mtns.
So now I've ridden UT, black hills & the 400 mile blue ridge parkway! It's been such am amazing adventure seeing our country& meeting all kinds of people! The weather was not the best so I've had to stay in hotels more than I had planed. also dumping my bike in the creek has set me back on costs. I've pretty much run out of money and if I ride my bike 3000 more miles home I've got maintenance, gas,food & motels.
I've done the math and it's less expensive to ship the bike home and fly back from nashville. I'm bummed I couldn't finish the trip but it's been a totally fun crazy & adventurous experience! I went out last night in nashville had some good bbq and listened to some live country rock music.i dropped the bike off this morning at harley with 5175 miles since I left home 23 days ago. Il finish with a quote from my cab driver..."you should ve hitch hiked back, oh well, at least it was an adventure you will never forget!"

No comments:

Post a Comment