Friday, July 15, 2011

2000+ miles








Ahhhh camping!  I packed up and headed out at 8AM to the Wildlife Loop ride out of the park.   I was going really slow hoping to see antelope, buffalo, deer and whatever else lives here?!  The landscape was awesome as before but it seemed more wilderness like being a Wildlife loop...like a drive thru zoo (anyone remember Lion Country Safari??) .  The rolling green hills continue to amaze me and I felt so relaxed and content ...except where were the animals?  The WL loop was about 15 miles long and I only saw a small herd of antelope towards the end, but it was a very peaceful stroll.  After I got out of the park though I saw tons of buffalo and a few deer.  The wildlife at Large signs say to stay in your car and a few buffalos gave me a dirty look like i was trying to move in on their cows with my loud black machine.  The next part of the ride took me into Nebraska "The Good Life!"  This part was more impressive than I had expected.  They're known as the Sand Hills and are miles and miles of low rolling bright green hills with no trees anywhere around.  After the Sand Hills I needed a break so I stopped for some food then later at a small General Store for water and a snack.  Here's a picture of Alicia at the diner and Jake the store owner.  Jake rides a harley night train and wanted to show it to me along with his gun arsenal, machine shop, leather collection, boots and garage that housed his bike, tractor and truck.  It was cool talking with him and after a water and some beef jerky I headed back on the road deeper into Nebraska.  The road did not stay very scenic after the Sand Hills and I found myself asking "Where am I going now?"  The next 4 hours were mostly boring...thankfully I had a great playlist to keep going.  I rolled in to the city of Grand Island NE at about 930 just after dark.  I found a hotel got a meal and went to bed.  There is a high heat warning here with a temp of 96 and about 85% humidity...brutal!

1 comment:

  1. That's funny...buffalos giving you a dirty look.

    Cools pics Jason.

    ReplyDelete